Re: Something I'd like to try...

From: Barry Lind <barry(at)xythos(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Something I'd like to try...
Date: 2000-10-03 17:38:50
Lists: pgsql-sql

It is interesting that this should come up now. Just last week I was
trying to port a SQL statement from Oracle to Postgresql that used table
aliases in an update statement. While I can see that this functionality
wouldn't be used very often it can be very useful under certain
circumstances.

I have a table that stores a hierarchy. Sometimes in an update I want
to join back to the same table to get other information related to
children or parent rows. In Oracle I can do this using the alias, but
in Postgresql I cannot.

Consider the SQL statements below as simplistic examples of what I was
doing in Oracle:

table_foo
foo_id int
parent_foo_id int
column_a int
column_b int

update table_foo f1
set column_a = (select sum(column_a) from table_foo f2
where f2.parent_foo_id = f1.foo_id);

update table_foo f1
set column_b = 1
where exists (select column_a from table_foo f2
where f2.parent_foo_id = f1.foo_id);

thanks,
--Barry