Re: Something I'd like to try...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Niall Smart <niall(dot)smart(at)ebeon(dot)com>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Something I'd like to try...
Date: 2000-10-03 04:29:17
Lists: pgsql-sql

> Can someone comment on this?
>>
>> I just noticed that postgres doesn't totally support
>> column aliases on UPDATE statements, for example

The SQL92 spec very clearly does not allow an alias on the target table:

13.10 <update statement: searched>

<update statement: searched> ::=
UPDATE <table name>
SET <set clause list>
[ WHERE <search condition> ]

While I'm willing to consider variations from the spec that add
significant functionality, this proposed addition adds no functionality
worth noticing. It'd just be another way to trip yourself up when
moving across DBMSes.