Re: Arrays and foreign keys

From: Chris Bitmead <chrisb(at)nimrod(dot)itg(dot)telstra(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Timothy H(dot) Keitt" <keitt(at)nceas(dot)ucsb(dot)edu>
Cc: Kaare Rasmussen <kar(at)webline(dot)dk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Arrays and foreign keys
Date: 2000-08-09 23:40:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

This is an interesting point. Originally postgres integrity rules were
based on a very general rules system where many things were possible to
specify. I'm curious about the more recent addition of referential
integrity to postgres (I know little about it), why it is such a
specific solution and is not based on the more general postgres rules
system?

There are some functions somewhere in contrib that allow you to say
whether something is somewhere within an array, which is generally
useful for an ODBMS style data model and also the example below. Ideally
it could somehow be linked into integrity checks.