Re: Possible bug in 'set constraints all deferred';

From: Jan Wieck <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>
To: David Jack Olrik <david(at)olrik(dot)dk>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Possible bug in 'set constraints all deferred';
Date: 2000-08-09 19:20:45
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Jack Olrik wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I think I have found a bug in the handeling of 'deferred
> contraints'. I have attached a small sql script that reproduces the
> error.
>
> The first transaction succedes, but the second one failes with
> 'psql:bug.sql:58: ERROR: <unnamed> referential integrity violation -
> key in p still referenced from c'
>
> Isn't it supposed succed just like the first one ??

[Attachment, skipping...]

WRT the primary key constraint, this should be considered a
"triggered data change violation", and the system should
already complain at the INSERT attempt's for p.

We don't track it that precise. So the error message isn't
the right one and it happens too late. But the overall
transactional behaviour is correct.

Jan

# Let's break this rule - forgive me. #