Re: MacOS: xsltproc fails with "warning: failed to load external entity"

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Aleksander Alekseev <aleksander(at)timescale(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: MacOS: xsltproc fails with "warning: failed to load external entity"
Date: 2023-02-09 18:48:46
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I think this misunderstanding is again due to the confusion between the 'all'
> target in doc/src/sgml and the default target, just like earlier in the thread
> / why I ended up with the prior set of targets under 'docs'.

> # Make "html" the default target, since that is what most people tend
> # to want to use.
> html:
> all: html man

> Given the repeated confusion from that, among fairly senior hackers, perhaps
> we ought to at least put those lines next to each other? It's certainly not
> obvious as-is.

I think there are ordering constraints between these and the
Makefile.global inclusion. But we could add a comment beside the "all:"
line pointing out that that's not the default target.

> Perhaps we should have doc-html, doc-man, doc-all or such?

No objection here.

If we intend to someday build tarballs with meson, there'd need to be
a target that builds html+man, but that could perhaps be named
"distprep".