Re: SQL compliance - why -- comments only at psql level ?

From: Hannu Krosing <hannu(at)tm(dot)ee>
To: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: SQL compliance - why -- comments only at psql level ?
Date: 2000-02-18 23:36:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> I've since seen the article in the latest issue of PCWeek. The article
> was not at all clear on the *specific* features which would disqualify
> Postgres from having SQL92 entry level compliance (for most commercial
> RDBMSes this is the only level they attain), and I was amused to note
> that although InterBase was lauded for SQL92 compliance, the author
> did encourage them to consider supporting the SQL92 comment delimiter
> ("--") in their next release :))

Why does PostgreSQL _not_ support the -- comment delimiter ?

Is there something complicated to supporting it in parser ?

IMNSHO it would require only a few lines in gram.y

Does supporting user-defined operators interfere ?

I assume we could comfortably disallow -- as a possible operator (one
can't input it from interactive psql anyway)

Hannu