Re: [HACKERS] psql variables fixed (?)

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] psql variables fixed (?)
Date: 2000-01-15 03:08:59
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut wrote:

> I resolved the issue psql variables vs array syntax in the manner
> suggested by various people. If the variable is undefined the string will
> be untouched. Now something else I'd like to get your comment on is that I
> handled the cast operator '::' in the same way, namely so that
> (Btw., was somebody mentioning that this cast syntax is non-standard and
> that he wanted to move toward a standard one? Just wondering.)

Yes, I probably mentioned that. But there is a problem in that the
SQL92 standard does not actually define the "type 'string'" syntax for
anything other than date/time types, since those are the only types
other than true strings defined in the standard. So I extended the
standard (in a natural way imho) to include any string-y input.

I'd be a little reluctant to give up the alternate "::" syntax, only
because I'm not sure I trust the standards folks to not stomp on the
alternative at some point in the future. (Sorry about the
double-negative, but it says what I mean :)

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California