Re: [HACKERS] Volunteer: Large Tuples / Tuple chaining

From: Christof Petig <christof(dot)petig(at)wtal(dot)de>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Hiroshi Inoue <Inoue(at)tpf(dot)co(dot)jp>, Jan Wieck <wieck(at)debis(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Volunteer: Large Tuples / Tuple chaining
Date: 1999-12-15 08:27:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Bruce Momjian wrote:

> Remember, chaining tuples had all sorts of performance, vacuum, code
> handling, and UPDATE problems. They buy us very little, and almost
> nothing if we have LONG tables.

I had already contacted Jan in private Email. Since we share country,
native language and time zone, this is even the most comfortable way.

I agree with the concerns you mailed and will (most likely) start
helping Jan to implement LONG. As I had seen your LONG discussion
_after_ my original post, this had been a strange coincidence. But I had
been following it with interest.

Christof