Re: Maintaining a list of pgindent commits for "git blame" to ignore

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Maintaining a list of pgindent commits for "git blame" to ignore
Date: 2021-03-18 22:39:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> writes:
> Attached is my .git-blame-ignore-revs file, which has pgindent commits
> that I'd like to exclude from git blame. The file is helpful on its
> own. But what we really ought to do is commit the file (perhaps with
> some revisions) and require that it be maintained by the official
> project workflow documented at src/tools/pgindent/README.

I don't object to maintaining such a file; if it makes "git blame"
work better, that's a huge win. However, the file as you have it
seems rather unreadable. I'd much rather have something that includes
the commit date and/or first line of commit message. Is there any
flexibility in the format, or does git blame insist it be just like this?