Re: [HACKERS] Creating operators

From: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Gene Sokolov <hook(at)aktrad(dot)ru>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Creating operators
Date: 1999-10-20 12:51:14
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> > Can I create an operator '::', such as <my own type>::double ?

This brings up something: I see mention in Date and Darwen of an SQL3
enumerated type. Nice feature, but they show the syntax being:

<type>::<value>

which reuses the "::" operator in a way which may be incompatible with
Postgres' usage (seems to me to have the fields reversed). btw, I
could imagine implementing enumerated types as Postgres arrays or as a
separate table per type.

Has anyone come across this SQL3 feature yet? Any opinions??

- Thomas

South Pasadena, California