6.6

From: Vadim Mikheev <vadim(at)krs(dot)ru>
To: Mike Mascari <mascarim(at)yahoo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Jan Wieck <jwieck(at)debis(dot)com>
Subject: 6.6
Date: 1999-09-15 05:46:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Mike Mascari wrote:

> 1. The TODO list shows under ENHANCEMENTS as URGENT as
> the number one item referential integrity. This is
> something we need desperately. And since refint.c
> with MVCC requires recoding our application (which is
> composed of 115 C++ objects -- and those are just the
> database related ones), we've been looking forward
> to integrated referential integrity. Particularly
> since refint.c is broke for cascading updates (it
> saves the SPI plan). The TODO list shows Jan as having
> claimed this item -- perhaps he goes away working like
> mad and comes back with a fantastic feature, like the
> rules system -- but I haven't seen any posts by Jan
> in months.

I would like to see something from Jan too...
My opinion is that RI _MUST_ be implemented in 6.6.
There are 3 ways:

1. Using deferrable rules/statement level triggers.
2. Using transaction log (to read changes made in
parent/child tables and check RI constraints).
3. Using DIRTY READ in refint.c

I hope to be able to do 2. or 3., though it would be much
better to have 1. (with statement level triggers) implemented by Jan.

Vadim