Re: GIST index : order Hack : getting the order used by CLUSTER .. USING my_index

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Rémi Cura <remi(dot)cura(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL General <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: GIST index : order Hack : getting the order used by CLUSTER .. USING my_index
Date: 2013-10-24 16:28:46
Lists: pgsql-general

=?UTF-8?Q?R=C3=A9mi_Cura?= <remi(dot)cura(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I'm interested in the tree structure inherent to the gist indexing.
> I was thinking to retrieve it from order of index.

How? A SQL query would have no idea where the index page boundaries were
in the sequence of retrieved tuples.

> Do you know how I could access it directly?

I don't think there's any way to do that without modifying the GiST code.
What you really care about here is the contents of the upper index levels,
which is something that's not exposed at all outside the index AM.