SSL question

From: Yogi Barot <YBarot(at)symcor(dot)com>
To: "'pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org'" <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: SSL question
Date: 2015-08-28 13:28:40
Lists: pgsql-jdbc

Hi,

I have few questions for postgresql queries using JDBC.

* Do you have any idea why adding SSL will slow the response time?

* What is general overhead for SSL enabling in potgresql using JDBC?

* We have SSL enabled with - Version of openssl we have is 0.9.8 and rhel 5, postgresql version is 9.0.19.

We are seeing 3-7% overhead with SSL on. Need to understand technical reason for it. we use JDBC. What I found that JDBC does not do compression.

Really looking to find details of how postgresql works with ssl with jdbc connection.

Appreciate your help.

Thanks,

Yogi