Re: perl shared library, redux

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Cindy <ctmoore(at)uci(dot)edu>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: perl shared library, redux
Date: 2002-09-19 21:44:19
Lists: pgsql-general

Cindy <ctmoore(at)uci(dot)edu> writes:
> Name removed to protect the guilty (see below). I replied asking for
> the path to the libperl.a. Do they know what they are talking about
> or are they out in orbit past pluto somewhere?

On platforms where all code is built position-independent all the time,
the contents of libperl.a could be linked into plperl.so, and then it
would work. Unfortunately, on many platforms this is not true and
you cannot insert a .a library into a .so library. AFAIR we simply
do not try to build plperl that way: we insist that a shared-library
version of libperl be available, or we don't even try to build plperl.