Re: Please make a note regarding the PL/pgSQL FOUND variable

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: tomtrias(at)gmail(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Please make a note regarding the PL/pgSQL FOUND variable
Date: 2023-11-04 15:16:11
Lists: pgsql-docs

PG Doc comments form <noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org> writes:
> Since I was recently bitten by the fact that CREATE TABLE AS doesn't set the
> PL/pgSQL variable FOUND, it would be nice if that were explicitly noted in
> the documentation. Alternatively, if it COULD set the FOUND variable, that
> would be great, although I realize the difficulty of that when coupled with
> IF NOT EXISTS.

The documentation of FOUND is already quite explicit about which kinds
of statements set it:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/plpgsql-statements.html#PLPGSQL-STATEMENTS-DIAGNOSTICS

I'm disinclined to put notes about PL/pgSQL features into command
reference pages that have nothing to do with PL/pgSQL.