Re: Is it possible to control the location of the lock file when starting postgres?

From: John R Pierce <pierce(at)hogranch(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Is it possible to control the location of the lock file when starting postgres?
Date: 2016-07-20 22:33:37
Lists: pgsql-general

On 7/20/2016 10:44 AM, Steve Langlois wrote:
> Why is the local connection not working without having to add host
> ::1/128 to the pg_hba.conf file. I thought specifying local all all
> trust would allow any local connection.

local != localhost... on your system localhost is resolving to the ipv6
::1, rather than the ipv4 127.0.0.1 but these are both still tcp/ip
'host' connections. 'local' is used for unix domain socket
connections, which are when you don't specify any hostname (or specify a
socket path starting with /)

you never did answer my previous question, why are you messing about
with manually starting postgres from the wrong user account, when it
should be run as a system service with systemctl ?

$ sudo systemctl start service.postgresql-9.1

and if you want it to auto-start on reboot,

$ sudo systemctl enable service.postgresql-9.1