Re: Rationale for aversion to the central database?

From: "Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul)" <bob(dot)basques(at)ci(dot)stpaul(dot)mn(dot)us>
To: Guyren Howe <guyren(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Steven Lembark <lembark(at)wrkhors(dot)com>, "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Rationale for aversion to the central database?
Date: 2018-04-27 16:13:32
Lists: pgsql-general

On Apr 27, 2018, at 10:46 AM, Guyren Howe <guyren(at)gmail(dot)com<mailto:guyren(at)gmail(dot)com>> wrote:

On Apr 27, 2018, at 8:45 , Basques, Bob (CI-StPaul) <bob(dot)basques(at)ci(dot)stpaul(dot)mn(dot)us<mailto:bob(dot)basques(at)ci(dot)stpaul(dot)mn(dot)us>> wrote:

Just chiming in . . . we’ve taken a somewhat different approach and actually encourage our programmers to build out thier own DBs. We’re using Postgres to aggregate many varied datasources into postgres as a cahing system, and then develop against this aggregated data. Yes, we understand that the realtime stuff is a laggy process. The intent here is to give the programmers a background in DB operation and performance expectations, especially since we primarilry build for Web Use.

I’d love to see a blog post about this.

Me too!! :c) It’s funny you mention this, I’ve actually been experimenting with different Blogging tech for just this purpose. Not sure when something will pop out the other end though. :c)

bobb

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."
- Vivian Greene