Re: Issue upgrading from V11 to V12 on Debian

From: Paul Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issue upgrading from V11 to V12 on Debian
Date: 2019-12-03 16:58:58
Lists: pgsql-general

On 12/3/19 8:46 AM, stan wrote:> So, I have V12 running as the default
on the machine I am testing this on
> now:
>
> Ver Cluster Port Status Owner Data directory Log file
> 11 main 5433 down postgres /var/lib/postgresql/11/main
> /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-11-main.log
> 12 main 5432 online postgres /var/lib/postgresql/12/main
> /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-12-main.log
>
> BUT, I went to the directory where I have the exentsion's source, did a
> make clean ; make ; make install, and the files were still installed in the
> V11 tree. How can I instruct the system to put these in the V12 tree?
>
> The extension in question is pgemailaddr if this matters, BTW.

That extension (and every extension I've seen) uses Postgres's normal
extension-building infrastructure, so it runs pg_config to learn where
to put files. If you run pg_config on your system it will probably
report directories belonging to v11. (That's a little surprising because
on Ubuntu systems I've always had it report the latest version.)

Many other Ubuntu Postgres commands accept a PGCLUSTER envvar to
specific which cluster to use. If you want to add that to your pg_config
you could do it like this: https://stackoverflow.com/a/43403193/122087
Then just set PGCLUSTER before building. (Make sure you `make clean` first.)

--
Paul ~{:-)
pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com