Re: Issue upgrading from V11 to V12 on Debian

From: stan <stanb(at)panix(dot)com>
To: Paul Jungwirth <pj(at)illuminatedcomputing(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Issue upgrading from V11 to V12 on Debian
Date: 2019-12-03 17:51:21
Lists: pgsql-general

On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 08:58:58AM -0800, Paul Jungwirth wrote:
> On 12/3/19 8:46 AM, stan wrote:> So, I have V12 running as the default on
> the machine I am testing this on
> > now:
> >
> > Ver Cluster Port Status Owner Data directory Log file
> > 11 main 5433 down postgres /var/lib/postgresql/11/main
> > /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-11-main.log
> > 12 main 5432 online postgres /var/lib/postgresql/12/main
> > /var/log/postgresql/postgresql-12-main.log
> >
> > BUT, I went to the directory where I have the exentsion's source, did a
> > make clean ; make ; make install, and the files were still installed in the
> > V11 tree. How can I instruct the system to put these in the V12 tree?
> >
> > The extension in question is pgemailaddr if this matters, BTW.
>
> That extension (and every extension I've seen) uses Postgres's normal
> extension-building infrastructure, so it runs pg_config to learn where to
> put files. If you run pg_config on your system it will probably report
> directories belonging to v11. (That's a little surprising because on Ubuntu
> systems I've always had it report the latest version.)
>
> Many other Ubuntu Postgres commands accept a PGCLUSTER envvar to specific
> which cluster to use. If you want to add that to your pg_config you could do
> it like this: https://stackoverflow.com/a/43403193/122087 Then just set
> PGCLUSTER before building. (Make sure you `make clean` first.)

And weirder.

So I purged the V1 server again, edited the postgresql.conf file to put it
back to port 5432, reinstalled the V12 package, and now:

stan(at)stantest:~/src/pgemailaddr-master$ pg_lsclusters
Ver Cluster Port Status Owner Data directory Log file
11 main 5432 online postgres /var/lib/postgresql/11/main
/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-11-main.log
12 main 5434 online postgres /var/lib/postgresql/12/main
/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-12-main.log

So, I decided to take a quick look at the production machine, just to make
sure this matched up to what was going on over there, and look what I found:

stan(at)ica-db:~$ htop
stan(at)ica-db:~$ pg_lsclusters
Ver Cluster Port Status Owner Data directory Log file
11 main 5432 online postgres /var/lib/postgresql/11/main
/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-11-main.log
12 main 5432 online postgres /var/lib/postgresql/11/main
/var/log/postgresql/postgresql-12-main.log

This seems impossible to me.

neither liberty nor safety."
-- Benjamin Franklin