Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Sandro Santilli <strk(at)kbt(dot)io>, Regina Obe <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction
Date: 2023-04-21 17:28:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> If the database is created with locale provider ICU, then lc_collate
> does not apply here, so the result might be correct (depending on what
> locale you have set).

FWIW, an installation created under LANG=C defaults to ICU locale
en-US-u-va-posix for me (see psql \l), and that still sorts as
expected on my RHEL8 box. We've not seen buildfarm problems either.

I am wondering however whether this doesn't mean that all our carefully
coded fast paths for C locale just went down the drain. Does the ICU
code have any of that? Has any performance testing been done to see
what impact this change had on C-locale installations? (The current
code coverage report for pg_locale.c is not encouraging.)