Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter(dot)eisentraut(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: Sandro Santilli <strk(at)kbt(dot)io>, Regina Obe <lr(at)pcorp(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Order changes in PG16 since ICU introduction
Date: 2023-04-21 20:13:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I am wondering however whether this doesn't mean that all our
> carefully
> coded fast paths for C locale just went down the drain.

The code still exists. You can test it by using the built-in collation
"C" which is correctly specified with collprovider=libc and
collcollate=C.

For my test dataset, ICU 72, glibc 2.35:

-- ~07s
explain analyze select t from a order by t collate "C";

-- ~15s
explain analyze select t from a order by t collate "en-US-x-icu";

-- ~21s
explain analyze select t from a order by t collate "en-US-u-va-posix-
x-icu";

-- ~34s
explain analyze select t from a order by t collate "en_US";

I believe the confusion in this thread comes from:

* The syntax of CREATE DATABASE (the same as v15 but still confusing)
* The fact that you need provider=libc to get memcmp() behavior (same
as v15 but still confusing)

Regards,
Jeff Davis