Re: How do I set a different language to test psql? (/**** QUERY ****/)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How do I set a different language to test psql? (/**** QUERY ****/)
Date: 2023-05-17 15:31:48
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Kirk Wolak <wolakk(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> I made the /**** QUERY ****/ changes.
> And I found the .po files, and modified those to match.

It's not your job to modify the .po files, at least not unless
you join the translation team --- and even then, it'd not happen
till after the core patch gets committed.

> Anyway, I have NO IDEA how I run psql in a different language.
> I tried gnome-language-selector, I installed Russian/Czech.
> I switched my entire system to Russian.
> git, make, all respond in russian.
> But not psql?

Sounds like you did not configure with --enable-nls. If you
did, it should respond to LC_MESSAGES or the other usual locale
environment variables.