Re: localhost resolving

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Tonko Racic <tonko(dot)racic(at)id(dot)ethz(dot)ch>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: localhost resolving
Date: 2006-12-09 03:38:18
Lists: pgsql-general

Tonko Racic <tonko(dot)racic(at)id(dot)ethz(dot)ch> writes:
> I have a problem with local host resolving.
> LOG: could not resolve "localhost": host nor service provided, or
> not known
> I am running HP-UX 11.23 and have installed postgresql 8.1.3

Googling suggests that that's HPUX's spelling of EAI_NONAME, implying
that resolution of the given name failed.

> Localhost is in /etc/hosts, I also have nsswitch.conf and resolv.conf
> configured.

Configured how? The nslookup result shows that your DNS server refuses
to resolve "localhost", so I'm thinking you made a mistake somewhere
such that getaddrinfo() isn't looking in /etc/hosts.