Re: How to _not_ save startup options in postmaster.opts?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David G(dot) Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Ron <ronljohnsonjr(at)gmail(dot)com>, Pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: How to _not_ save startup options in postmaster.opts?
Date: 2023-11-02 17:42:37
Lists: pgsql-admin

"David G. Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
>> Alas, those config values are remembered in postmaster.opts. But I don't
>> want that.

> I don’t know where this file is even documented ATM but my understanding is
> it just shows you the values used during the last startup.

It does more, per the pg_ctl man page:

postmaster.opts

If this file exists in the data directory, pg_ctl (in restart
mode) will pass the contents of the file as options to postgres,
unless overridden by the -o option. The contents of this file are
also displayed in status mode.

It seems totally reasonable for "pg_ctl restart" to re-apply those
switches. If you don't want that, don't use "restart", but stop
and start.

Or you could just remove the file.