Re: PostgreSQL - How to login with my Linux user account

From: Amn Ojee Uw <amnojeeuw(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostgreSQL - How to login with my Linux user account
Date: 2023-07-28 14:00:11
Lists: pgsql-general

First of all, my gratitude to Adrian and David for taking the time to
reply to my call for help; a 1k  thanks to you kids.

Having stated the above, PostgreSQL provides a default database namely
'postgres'. Taking advantage of this service, I have change the 'psql'
statement to 'psql -d postgres -U my_linux_user_name -W', I then entered
my Linux account login password and got this error messages :
/*$ psql -d postgres -U my_linux_user_name -W *//*
*//*Password: *//*
*//*psql: error: connection to server on socket
"/var/run/postgresql/.s.PGSQL.5432" failed: FATAL:  Peer authentication
failed for user "my_linux_user_name"*/

I also, using 'postres' account, have created another user account,
chispa, who is a superuser; when trying to login as 'chispa' and using
the above statement (/*psql -d postgres -U chispa -W *//*)*/ PostgreSQL
throws the same error message.
/**/

What am I doing wrong?
Is there a webpage that explains how to login to PostgreSQL as other
than 'postgres'?

Thanks in advance.