Re: Compile static postgres.lib for postgres 15.3 on Windows

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Priess Stefan <stefan(dot)priess(at)nexus-chili(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Compile static postgres.lib for postgres 15.3 on Windows
Date: 2023-07-28 12:48:07
Lists: pgsql-general

Priess Stefan <stefan(dot)priess(at)nexus-chili(dot)com> writes:
> up to version 9.6.22 there was a win32.mak file in the src/interfaces/libpw folder which could be used to compile a static postgres.lib using nmake. Since Postgres 10 this file has been removed.

Yup. It didn't really work right and there was insufficient interest
in maintaining it.

> Is it still possilbe to build a static postgres.lib for windows ? And if so, how do I do it.

Run the normal build process using MSVC, and then just take libpq.lib
from the results. On any modern machine that's just going to take
a few minutes, so it's not worth maintaining a separate libpq-only
build path.