Re: Linker errors while creating a PostgreSQL C extension function.

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: TalGloz <glozmantal(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Linker errors while creating a PostgreSQL C extension function.
Date: 2018-08-19 19:16:31
Lists: pgsql-general

TalGloz <glozmantal(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Thanks, that did the trick. But now I'm getting this
> /usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib64/libseal.a(bigpoly.cpp.o): relocation R_X86_64_32
> against `.rodata.str1.1' can not be used when making a shared object;
> recompile with -fPIC

Ugh, I was wondering if that was really going to work or not. Your copy
of libseal.a has been built without relocation capability, so it can't
be included in a .so library.

In principle, if you have the source code for libseal, you could recompile
it with -fpic or -fPIC and continue to link against the .a form of the
library. But it might be better to turn it into a .so in its own right.