Re: Are there performance advantages in storing bulky field in separate table?

From: Grzegorz Jaśkiewicz <gryzman(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: Ian Mayo <ianmayo(at)tesco(dot)net>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Are there performance advantages in storing bulky field in separate table?
Date: 2009-04-09 11:54:52
Lists: pgsql-general

If I may, I got an instance once, where table with bytea field was
pretty slow. Turned out, that queries modified everything apart from
bytea bit.
moving it to separate table actually helped performance.

But that only will happen providing that you have the
bytea/text/whatever that won't change, once inserted.