Re: Undesirable whitespace treatment in mail archive display

From: "Jonathan S(dot) Katz" <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-www(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Undesirable whitespace treatment in mail archive display
Date: 2018-06-11 18:09:21
Lists: pgsql-www

> On Jun 11, 2018, at 1:58 PM, Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:
>
>> On 11 Jun 2018, at 19:52, Jonathan S. Katz <jkatz(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
>>

>>> On Jun 11, 2018, at 1:47 PM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>>>
>>> Since we moved to the new website design, the mailing list archives
>>> display all messages with leading indentation suppressed. This can
>>> be pretty awful, eg in the code fragment here:
>>>
>>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20180611170812.7ypf6xs6dlteo57j@alap3.anarazel.de
>>>
>>> Looking closer, I think it may not just be leading indentation that
>>> gets lost; seems like *any* whitespace string gets smashed to a
>>> single space, cf followup at
>>>
>>> https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/7382.1528737252%40sss.pgh.pa.us
>>>
>>> which certainly does not look like it did in my outbox.
>>>
>>> I assume this is just an ill-considered stylesheet choice somewhere
>>> ... can we fix it please?
>>
>> Hmm…agreed. I’m going to check the old code to see how that was handled. This
>> may have occurred when trying to make the archives readable across different
>> viewports.
>
> The below diff will retain the whitespace included the post. It doesn’t seem
> to make it less readable on smaller viewports (although more scrolling), but I
> only tested quickly so more input is welcome.

I did some testing locally and it does solve the whitespace problem, but
introduces the following:

1. The line heights are not a bit larger, which could introduce the return of
the “scrolling” problem.

2. We lose the mobile-friendly wrapping that was introduced.

Looking at our mobile traffic numbers, I’d be inclined to solve the immediate
issue of the whitespace problem and make it a bit harder to use the archives on
mobile temporarily while looking for a better solution. In other words, we don’t
have that much mobile traffic in the archives.

I can tweak the line heights the make the scrolling not as bad, if not the same.
I’ll experiment and once it looks like before push / commit.

Jonathan