Re: pgindent fails with perl 5.40

From: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>
To: Erik Wienhold <ewie(at)ewie(dot)name>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgindent fails with perl 5.40
Date: 2024-10-08 09:26:13
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> On 8 Oct 2024, at 03:50, Erik Wienhold <ewie(at)ewie(dot)name> wrote:

>> Calling the import method of an unknown package produces a warning
>> [...]
>> It will also detect cases where a user passes an argument when using a
>> package that does not provide its own import
>> [...]
>
> Because we use fatal warnings, pgindent fails.

I'm far from fluent in Perl, but my reading of this is that File::Spec doesn't
provide an import() function so explicitly listing devnull does nothing here.
Your diff should thus be a safe fix. The devnull function existed already in
3.00 which was released just a hair over 2 decades ago so I think we can safely
assume any File::Spec we use to have it.

--
Daniel Gustafsson