Re: ERROR: CREATE DATABASE: could not initialize database directory

From: s0lao(at)netscape(dot)net (S(dot) L(dot))
To: jmp(at)micromuse(dot)com ("Jean-Marc Paulin"), pgsql-cygwin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: ERROR: CREATE DATABASE: could not initialize database directory
Date: 2002-06-25 06:00:31
Lists: pgsql-cygwin

[...]
>rows/table in existing databases. The only failure is
>for the CREATE DATABASE. This is what is the most confusing for me.
[...]

The CREATE DATABASE needs to have the rights to do a "mkdir" in the place where $PGDATA environment variable points to, and to "cp"/configure several files after that.
Actually, all I can guess is that executing postmaster as a service, there are some _cygwin_ variables in your telnet session, that the cygrunsrv command doesn't pass to the started backend. The same user would get the same environment, but not all the time. Try a simple "bash.exe" command and a "bash.exe --login" in a cmd window, each followed by a "set" command, to see what I mean.

SLao

Your favorite stores, helpful shopping tools and great gift ideas. Experience the convenience of buying online with Shop(at)Netscape! http://shopnow.netscape.com/