Re: Could regexp_matches be immutable?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Rod Taylor <rod(dot)taylor(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Could regexp_matches be immutable?
Date: 2009-10-21 16:46:38
Lists: pgsql-hackers

"David E. Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com> writes:
> FWIW, I think that this is a bug, and that the variation from the text
> version will be unexpected. I recommend fixing it for 8.4.2.

Well, it's certainly a bug, but I don't think it's back-patchable.
A back-patch will not affect existing installations anyway. What it
will do is break user code that is expecting the existing behavior
(for instance, Rod's index). I think it's something we can only
change at a major version boundary.