Re: Backup

From: Adrian Klaver <adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com>
To: Andy Hartman <hartman60home(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backup
Date: 2024-10-23 15:50:29
Lists: pgsql-general

On 10/23/24 07:07, Andy Hartman wrote:
> I have been testing different backup methods suggested and wonder if I
> have all my files used to load the DB .. could that be considered a
> backup... obviously need to have schema backup in case of problem, but
> that seems to be easily re-created
>
> Thoughts?

Did you actually read the information at the links provided?

By default pg_dump and pg_dumpall will dump both the schema definitions
as well as the data.

Yes it is a backup of the database(s) at the point in time you initiate
the dump. If you want something different then you are probably looking
for one of the replication methods. You still have not answered:

" You also need to provide a more detailed description of what you want
the backup to do?"

so it is hard to say what method is best for your situation.

--
Adrian Klaver
adrian(dot)klaver(at)aklaver(dot)com