Re: explain (internal feature)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: "A(dot)M(dot)" <agentm(at)cmu(dot)edu>, pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: explain (internal feature)
Date: 2003-03-11 04:54:29
Lists: pgsql-sql

>> db=#explain vacuum;
>> to return:
>> NOTICE: "vacuum" is an internal postgresql feature.
>> instead of:
>> ERROR: parser: parse error at or near "vacuum" at character 9

> No, it would not.

Actually, it's a fair question considering that the 7.3 man page for
EXPLAIN says you can explain "any query". But CVS-tip documentation
says that EXPLAIN can explain

Any SELECT, INSERT, UPDATE, DELETE, EXECUTE, or DECLARE CURSOR query.

which I think is sufficient description. I'm not really eager to
enlarge the parser enough to accept EXPLAIN <any SQL command> when
it's only gonna fail anyway...