Re: Broken link in pgcrypto documentation

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se>, hanefi(dot)onaldi(at)microsoft(dot)com, pgsql-docs(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Broken link in pgcrypto documentation
Date: 2024-02-13 19:42:36
Lists: pgsql-docs

> On Tue, Feb 13, 2024 at 7:12 PM Daniel Gustafsson <daniel(at)yesql(dot)se> wrote:
>> However, I wonder if we aren't better off removing the "Useful Reading" section
>> altogether? The field of crypto is continuously advancing and keeping a stale
>> 10+ year old list of links is unlikely to provide more insights than what more
>> curated sites can do.

> +1. I don't think it's the job of a postgres contrib module to maintain that.

+1. We haven't maintained that list in the past and it seems unlikely
that we'll get better at it.

I'm a little dubious about the "Technical References" list right below
it, too. The RFC references are probably useful and stable, and maybe
the wikipedia ref is OK, but I have little faith in either the
stability or the long-term relevance of the other two links.