Re: pg_checksums: Reorder headers in alphabetical order

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com>
Cc: Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Banck <mbanck(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_checksums: Reorder headers in alphabetical order
Date: 2024-09-21 03:09:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Fujii Masao <masao(dot)fujii(at)oss(dot)nttdata(dot)com> writes:
> I don’t have any objections to this commit, but I’d like to confirm
> whether we really want to proactively reorder #include directives,
> even for standard C library headers.

I'm hesitant to do that. We can afford to insist that our own header
files be inclusion-order-independent, because we have the ability to
fix any problems that might arise. We have no ability to do something
about it if the system headers on $random_platform have inclusion
order dependencies. (In fact, I'm fairly sure there are already
places in plperl and plpython where we know we have to be careful
about inclusion order around those languages' headers.)

So I would tread pretty carefully around making changes of this
type, especially in long-established code. I have no reason to
think that the committed patch will cause any problems, but
I do think it's mostly asking for trouble.