Re: error in postgresql

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: sharmad(at)goatelecom(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: error in postgresql
Date: 2001-10-30 21:46:56
Lists: pgsql-sql

sharmad(at)goatelecom(dot)com writes:
> postgres(at)linux:~ > pg_dumpall > alllms_30-10-2001.bak
> SQL query to dump the contents of Table 'common_to_three' did not execute. Explanation from backend: 'pqReadData() -- backend closed the channel unexpectedly.
> This probably means the backend terminated abnormally
> before or while processing the request.
> '.
> The query was: 'COPY "common_to_three" TO stdout;

Hm. The only cases I can recall of backend crashes during COPY OUT
were caused by corrupted data. Do you get similar failures if you
do "SELECT * FROM common_to_three"?

You could investigate more closely by using gdb to look at the core
file left by the crashed backend. A backtrace would give us at least
some idea of the nature of the problem.