Re: PostGres Doubt

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Ford <david(at)blue-labs(dot)org>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PostGres Doubt
Date: 2002-06-18 14:39:02
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Ford <david(at)blue-labs(dot)org> writes:
> heakin=> \z
> Access privileges for database "heakin"
> Table | Access privileges
> -------------------+-------------------
> interviewers |

> heakin=> grant select,insert,update on interviewers to heakin;
> GRANT
> heakin=> \z
> Access privileges for database "heakin"
> Table | Access privileges
> interviewers | {=,heakin=arwdRxt}

I take it heakin is the owner of the table in question. As such,
he implicitly has all privileges --- the initial null privilege list
is a shorthand for what you see explicitly in the second case.

The GRANT man page in current development sources has an example about
this; see the Notes section of
http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/sql-grant.html