Re: table schema causes crash

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: tom(at)minnesota(dot)com
Cc: pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: table schema causes crash
Date: 2002-12-20 22:55:59
Lists: pgsql-general

<tom(at)minnesota(dot)com> writes:
> authtest=# \d imap_passwd
> Table "imap_passwd"
> Column | Type | Modifiers
> ----------+------------------------+-----------
> username | character varying(128) | Primary key: imap_passwd_pkey

> *** NOTE: it only shows the first column and none of the other columns ***

What I find even more suspicious is that the "Primary key" footer shows
up in the table data area. Looking at print_aligned_text, this seems to
suggest that cells[2] must be NULL --- you would get this kind of
mistake if the number of non-null cells[] entries is not a multiple of
the number of non-null headers[] entries. But I surely do not see how
describeTableDetails would be setting that cell to null --- it does

cells[i * cols + 2] = xmalloc(128 + 128);

and xmalloc() will exit() rather than return null.