Re: Insert Concurrency

From: Daniel Blanch Bataller <daniel(dot)blanch(dot)bataller(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: ROBERT PRICE <rprice504(at)hotmail(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Insert Concurrency
Date: 2017-04-18 05:45:31
Lists: pgsql-performance

Yes, postgres has partitions:

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/ddl-partitioning.html <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/ddl-partitioning.html>

But this is not going to help much in the scenario you have.

Postgres can ingest data very very fast, 100M records in seconds - minutes , faster than oracle can serve it in many scenarios (all I have tested).

Specially if you use COPY command

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/sql-copy.html <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/sql-copy.html>

and even faster if you use the unlogged feature

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/sql-altertable.html <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.6/static/sql-altertable.html>

You can tune postgres to make it even faster, but it’s not normally necessary, with the two advices I gave you firstly, is more than enough, If I don’t remember it wrong you can move 100M records in ~ 2 minutes.

https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/populate.html <https://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/populate.html>

But if you are going to move a record at a time you are going to be limited by the fastest transaction rate you can achieve, which is going to be a few hundred per second, and limited at the end by the disk hardware you have, . Out of the box and on commodity hardware it can take you up to then days to move 100M records.

So, my recomendation is to find a way to batch record insertions using copy, the benefits you can achieve tunning postgres are going to be marginal compared with COPY.

Regards

Daniel Blanch.
ww.translatetopostgres.com