Re: Why so long between archive calls?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: "Alvaro Herrera" <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Why so long between archive calls?
Date: 2006-09-06 20:54:30
Lists: pgsql-admin

"Chris Hoover" <revoohc(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> Currenty, there are no .ready files in the pg_xlog/archive_status file.

Well, that explains why the archiver thinks it has nothing to do.

> Like I mentioned, the db server was stoped and restarted on 9/5 am, but the
> oldest unarchived log file is:
> -rw------- 1 postgres postgres 16M Sep 1 04:04 0000000100000197000000F1

Are you sure that's an unarchived file, and not a file waiting to be
used later? What's the current WAL endpoint address? (pg_controldata
would tell you ... but your trace showed 000000010000019700000078 being
archived, which would suggest that this one is just waiting to be reused.)
Have you got a particularly large checkpoint_segments setting?