Re: Syntax error in a large COPY

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Reg Me Please <regmeplease(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Syntax error in a large COPY
Date: 2007-11-06 18:14:00
Lists: pgsql-general

Reg Me Please <regmeplease(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> At a certain point I get an error telling about a
> "invalid input syntax for type numeric"
> The incriminated line number is the last one (the one containing the \.).
> Is there a way to know which line is really malformed?

Why do you think the report is inaccurate?

I can reproduce this by putting a few spaces in front of \., for
instance.

regression=# create table foo(f1 numeric);
CREATE TABLE
regression=# copy foo from stdin;
Enter data to be copied followed by a newline.
End with a backslash and a period on a line by itself.
>> 123
>> \.
regression=# copy foo from stdin;
Enter data to be copied followed by a newline.
End with a backslash and a period on a line by itself.
>> \.
>> \.
ERROR: invalid input syntax for type numeric: " "
CONTEXT: COPY foo, line 1, column f1: " "
regression=#

As the psql prompt mentions, \. has to be alone on a line.