Re: Notiffy problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: adasko98 <adasko(dot)86(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Notiffy problem
Date: 2012-06-29 15:10:15
Lists: pgsql-general

Merlin Moncure <mmoncure(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:

>>> Looks like a limitation of the plpgsql parser, perhaps even counts as a
>>> bug.

It is not a bug, but a documented limitation of the NOTIFY command: the
payload has to be a simple string literal.

(The technical reason for that is that NOTIFY isn't a plannable
statement, but a utility command, and utility commands generally don't
evaluate expressions. In principle we could fix that, but in practice
it's not going to change, because the pg_notify() function serves just
fine for every case where you want a non-constant payload.)