Regarding "Point-in-time Recovery" feature

From: Saurabh Gupta A <saurabh(dot)a(dot)gupta(at)ericsson(dot)com>
To: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Regarding "Point-in-time Recovery" feature
Date: 2015-02-23 11:39:30
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello,
Has anybody used online backup feature of postgreSQL? In fact precise postgreSQL term is called: "Point-in-time Recovery" (PITR)
This means enabling following additional options in config:
---
archive_command = on
archive_command = 'cp %p /usr/local/pgsql/pgDataPITR/wals/%f' # This is only example path
---

If yes then may I know how it is used and how it impacts database performance?

Regards:
Saurabh