Re: pg_temp.<pid>.<int>

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Brian Baquiran" <brianb(at)edsamail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_temp.<pid>.<int>
Date: 2001-03-14 05:42:03
Lists: pgsql-general

"Brian Baquiran" <brianb(at)edsamail(dot)com> writes:
> I am cleaning up an old 6.5 postgres installation prior to migrating it over
> to 7.0.3. Looking in pg_class, I see some tables named pg_temp.<PID>.1 thru
> 7. I assume these were temp tables that got left behind when a backend with
> pid <PID> died. Is it safe to delete these rows from pg_class?

Yes, if the backend PIDs that created 'em aren't around anymore. I'd
suggest DROP TABLE rather than a DELETE FROM pg_class.

> I also see old pg_temp* and pg_sorttemp* in the data directory. I guess I'll
> be deleting those too.

If you like. pg_dump won't notice anything that hasn't got a pg_class
entry, so there's no urgent need for it. Since you've evidently been
having some problems with 6.5, I do suggest a full bore pg_dumpall/
initdb/reload cycle rather than trying to squeeze by with pg_upgrade.