Re: FATAL: invalid value for parameter "TimeZone" after upgrade from 9.2 to 9.6

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us>
Cc: pgsql-admin <pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: FATAL: invalid value for parameter "TimeZone" after upgrade from 9.2 to 9.6
Date: 2017-11-17 15:36:09
Lists: pgsql-admin

Don Seiler <don(at)seiler(dot)us> writes:
> The difference though is when the client sets that timezone when
> connecting, that's when the error is listed as FATAL and the connections
> fail in 9.6 (and also 9.3 according to the previous thread), where as the
> connections didn't fail in 9.2 and earlier. That's the behavior change I'm
> looking to account for.

Ah, gotcha. I believe that the FATAL case occurs if the client tries
to set an invalid parameter value within the connection startup packet,
rather than after connecting. But that behavior hasn't changed in
a long time either. I think what you need to be looking for is a
client-side change in how/when it sends a desired timezone setting to
the server.