Re: Slow connection to the database

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Poul Møller Hansen <freebsd(at)pbnet(dot)dk>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Slow connection to the database
Date: 2005-09-24 19:49:45
Lists: pgsql-general

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Poul_M=F8ller_Hansen?= <freebsd(at)pbnet(dot)dk> writes:
>> Is it possible that you've got DNS timeouts happening or something
>> like that? Though I don't think PG does reverse DNS lookups,
>> especially not by default.

> DNS was also my first thought, but the connection isn't logged so why do
> reverse lookup and with my clients ip address in /etc/hosts is same.

How do you know the delay isn't in the client's lookup of the server?

I concur with Doug's suggestion that you need to trace the connection
process to find out what's slow. Personally I'd try strace (or local
equivalent) first; the odds are that you can spot the issue at the
kernel-call level. You'd probably need to trace both the client and
server sides of the operation.