Re: URGENT: pg_dump & Postgres 7.2b4

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jelan" <jelan(at)magelo(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: URGENT: pg_dump & Postgres 7.2b4
Date: 2002-01-10 22:01:37
Lists: pgsql-general

"Jelan" <jelan(at)magelo(dot)com> writes:
> Dont panic, it was just a stupid try and i had saved the file and then
> restored it ;)

Oh good. In that case see my followup to pghackers. I think your
problem is isolated to the sequence object(s), and can be summarized
as: nextval() will work, pg_dump'ing a sequence will not. So, to get
out of trouble, try this: for each sequence, do nextval() to note the
current value, drop the sequence, recreate it, do setval() to restore
the count. Then you'll be in a state where you can pg_dump. Then try
not to go a million transactions between sequence creations and pg_dumps
while you're using 7.2b4 :-(.

There will be a fix in the next beta version.

Oh, and many thanks for finding this! Would've been embarrassing to
have this glitch escape beta testing...