Re: Avoiding "wrong tuple length" errors at the end of VACUUM on pg_database update (Backpatch of 947789f to v12 and v13)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: Postgres hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>, "Imseih (AWS), Sami" <simseih(at)amazon(dot)com>, Nathan Bossart <nathandbossart(at)gmail(dot)com>
Subject: Re: Avoiding "wrong tuple length" errors at the end of VACUUM on pg_database update (Backpatch of 947789f to v12 and v13)
Date: 2023-01-10 07:57:43
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz> writes:
> Any objections about getting 947789f applied to REL_13_STABLE and
> REL_12_STABLE and see this issue completely gone from all the versions
> supported?

No objections to back-patching the fix, but I wonder if we can find
some mechanical way to prevent this sort of error in future. It's
surely far from obvious that we need to apply heap_inplace_update
to a raw tuple rather than a syscache entry.

A partial fix perhaps could be to verify that the supplied tuple
is the same length as what we see on-disk? It's partial because
it'd only trigger if there had actually been a toasted-field
expansion, so it'd most likely not catch such coding errors
during developer testing.