Re: [HACKERS] Raising funds for PostgreSQL

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck)
Cc: kyle(at)actarg(dot)com, pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Raising funds for PostgreSQL
Date: 1999-12-07 03:22:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers

wieck(at)debis(dot)com (Jan Wieck) writes:
>> [ is done ]

> Uh,
> who did the latter one?

Me.

> Just running some qry through psql I see that it works
> partially. Especially I see a
> ExecSetParamPlan: more than one tuple returned by expression subselect

Yes. I allowed the existing kinds of subselect expressions in
targetlists (not only in qual clauses), and fixed things so that
a subselect yielding a single result can appear anywhere in an
expression, not only as the righthand-side argument of an operator.
Subselects yielding multiple rows are still valid only as the
righthand argument of an IN, quantified boolean operator
(such as = ANY or = ALL), or EXISTS. It's a perfectly straightforward
generalization (and simplification!) of what we already had.

> So I assume it's not implemented in the form I outlined - the
> subselecting range table entry. I'll take a look at it the
> next days and maybe complain about that change if it
> interferes with the needs of the rule system to make
> aggregate, distinct, group by, sort by and all the other
> (long wanted) view stuff possible.

I don't believe this has anything to do with subselects as range
table entries. That facility will be quite separate from subselects
in expressions, no?